Volunteering with All-Aboard
Situated in the heart of Bristol and the historic Bristol Docks, All-Aboard is able to work with the community to break down the barriers perceived to accessing watersports.
All-Aboard has been built by countless volunteers’ hard work and dedication, allowing us to offer a range of adaptable sessions to the public, with highly trained instructors and volunteers at an affordable price.
Volunteers are a core and fundamental part of our charity and we simply could not function without them. From welcoming visitors, to rigging and maintaining boats and working with disabled service users, volunteering with us is rewarding, fun and allows you to develop new skills.
Interested in volunteering with All-Aboard
Unfortunately, we are currently not in the position to accept any more volunteers. If you have a watersport qualification or specific unique skills that you think will be of benefit to us, then please complete this Volunteer Application application and return it to [email protected]. If we are unable to offer you a volunteering role then we can keep your application and put you on our waiting list until a position opens up. Please state in the email if you are happy for us to keep your application.
If you do not have any watersport experience, then we would encourage you to work on developing skills in this area and attend some courses. Please see below to read of how else you can support our charity.
Click here to read some of our volunteers experience’s of volunteering at All-Aboard
What to expect when volunteering
In the event that we have a volunteer position to offer, once we receive your application you will be invited down for a trail session. After this we will meet to discuss how you got on, dates and times you can support us. If you would like to proceed and become a volunteer, we will contact the referees provided in your application, ask you to complete a DBS form and give you a centre induction.
All volunteers an instructors must complete our compulsory training: First Aid, Safeguarding and Disability Awareness. Your first 6 sessions will be a probationary period were we will ‘buddy’ you up and check in to see how you are getting on. Once you have volunteered for 6 sessions you will be sent an online voucher where you can book onto the next available compulsory training courses. After this time your volunteer hours will be recorded so you can take part our Volunteer Reward Scheme.
Please note: You cannot volunteer without any references, a DBS check, or if you fail to complete the compulsory training.
- Boat & Premises Management Assistant
- Water Activity or Instructor (including working with participants with and without additional needs)
- Powerboat Driver (a Powerboat Level 2 qualification is required)
- Meeter & Greeter
- Events Support inc refreshments
- Sailability/Accessibility Assistant
Other ways which you can support our Charity
- Fundraising – You can choose All-Aboard as your charity to complete a sponsored event in order to raise money for our cause. (i.e. bake sale, sponsored swim etc.).
- Promotion – Word of mouth is very powerful. If you are able to display any of our posters, leaflets or simply advise people of our services, we would be very grateful. It will enable us to reach more individuals who would benefit from our services.
- Donations – Whether your donation may be financial or material (i.e. new life jackets, helmets, boats, office furniture), donations enable us to keep our doors open and reach more people within the community.
- Social Media – You can help us spread the word of any events, fundraisers, open days, courses or our success stories by sharing our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts.
- Charity of the Year – By choosing us as your charity of the year to raise fund for would help us tremendously. The watersports industry is expensive and ensuring our centre is accessible creates a lot of costs. The financial support of choosing us as your charity of the year helps us to continue working with the community.
- Easy Fundraising – Easy Fundraising is a site which allows you to shop on thousands of popular online retailers and donate a percentage of the cost to a chosen charity. If you chose All-Aboard as your charity then we can receive a donation from the retailer every time you shop, at no extra cost to you.
- Funding – If you are aware of any funding bids which our charity would be eligible for then please email us with the information.
- Feedback – If you had a positive experience with us please leave a comment on our Facebook page or send us in a quote which you would be happy for us to use when writing bids.
Celebrating our volunteers
Tim Comer – Volunteer Paddlesport Instructor
“I enjoy my weekly visit to AAB, why? ….I think it’s just getting out on the water, meeting new people, chatting and helping people to enjoy a new sport. All-Aboard gave me my first opportunity to kayak, which started me on my journey. Giving something back to others is rewarding.”
Tim first came to All-Aboard through our CSAF program which offered watersports sessions to those aged over 55 years for a reduced cost. Tim found a new passion in the sport, so just 5 years on he is a highly skilled and experienced kayak coach.
Current Volunteers: Information and Notices
Events and Fundraisers
Volunteer Fundraiser: 8 hour Sail/Row
*This event has been postponed to limit spread of Covid-19. We will inform all volunteers when this event has been re-scheduled.*
On 28th March we will be holding an 8 hour challenge where volunteers will be sponsored to be part of a team of rowers and sailors. The goal is to the have as many volunteers sailing or rowing over 8 hours, however at the very minimum a rowing and/or sail boat must be out on the water at all times.
The pay and play rowers will join with volunteers to fill 2 skiffs and access boat will be available for volunteers to sail. If you are a volunteer and interested in signing up please click here and sign up to as many 2-hour time slots as you would like. We will need volunteer support throughout the day so please contact the Volunteer Coordinator for more information.
The aim of this event is to raise as much money as possible, so please share this QR code and this link with friends and family so they can sponsor you.